Coronavirus – what you need to know
Update as of 20/03/2020
Important Announcement: Active Tameside venue closures – Coronavirus
In line with national guidance advising the UK public to avoid unnecessary social contact, we have taken the decision to close all Active Tameside venues to the public from 10.30pm on Friday March 20th.
We understand that this decision will come as a disappointment to many but ultimately, the health and wellbeing of our customers, staff and the community we serve is our highest priority.
Given the day-by-day evolution of the pandemic and its impact on society as a whole, we are unable to give any indication of the closure period though we will provide updates as and when we have them. During this time we will continue to follow the advice provided by Government, Public Health England and the NHS.
We will of course be contacting customers with regard to block bookings and memberships etc but please bear with us as we seek to assist everyone to the fullest possible extent, potentially with a significantly depleted workforce.
In line with many of the services provided by the Council, we will look to innovate in order to perpetuate the delivery of services to our most vulnerable users. Indeed, our dedicated staff will be made available to assist the Council as it strives to maintain vital services across the care spectrum.
Active Tameside is a charity which aspires to assist everyone within the borough to live their best life and to this end we’ll get back to normal as soon as possible. In the meantime, please stick with us as we’re undoubtedly stronger together as your very kind messages of support attest.
These are uncertain times for all of us but with mutual support we will pull through so please, take and give care.
If you are one of our paying members, please see below for how this affects your membership.
- All swimming lessons run by Active Tameside will cease from 10.30pm on Friday March 20th.
- Swimming lesson customers who pay by direct debit will have their payment automatically frozen initially for a period of three months with no freeze charge to be applied – at the end of the three months’ freeze period, you will be automatically re-instated, pending the PHE advisory situation whereby if an extension to this freeze period is required, it will be applied with no charge.
- If you are a swimming lesson customer who pays in 14-week blocks, you will be entitled to credits for the remaining lessons that you have already paid for.
- Please note all swimming lesson members will hold their place in their current class, day and time when freezing, wherever possible.
Health and fitness memberships
- With the decision to close all Active Tameside venues to the public from 10.30pm on Friday March 20th this means access to the gyms, swimming pools, group exercise studio’s and health suits will no longer be available.
- Members who pay by direct debit will have their membership automatically frozen initially for a period of three months with no freeze charge to be applied – at the end of the three months’ freeze period, you will be automatically re-instated, pending the PHE advisory situation whereby if an extension to this freeze period is required, it will be applied with no charge.
- If your membership is a 12 month contract direct debit and you choose to cancel your membership, there will be no cancellation fee applied or debt put on your account.
- If you are a customer who has paid all membership fees upfront, the period of closure will be added to your membership expiry date.
Update as of 18/03/2020
As you will be aware, the COVID-19 outbreak is causing serious disruption across every part of our lives.
Due to the evolving situation, and in order to sustain the business as a whole within the context of exceptional circumstances, we have taken the decision to close Adventure Longdendale and Active Ken Ward, from midnight on Sunday 22nd March, for the foreseeable future.
In the meantime, our Active Ken Ward and Adventure Longdendale members and customers are welcome to use our other facilities, which are currently still open. Those who have a single site Active Ken Ward fitness membership will automatically be upgraded to multi-site membership until further notice.
If you have booked a party with us or booked through Groupon, we will be getting in touch with you shortly to discuss your choices. All gymnastics lessons have also been cancelled until further notice.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Update as of 17/03/2020
Following on from recent updates and advice regarding COVID-19, we have decided to take these further steps to reduce the risk to our customers, visitors and staff.
- All gymnastics lessons run by Active Tameside will cease from Wednesday 18th March until further notice.
- Gymnastics lesson customers who pay by direct debit can freeze for a maximum of three months with no freeze charge to be applied – at the end of the three months’ freeze period, you will be automatically re-instated, pending the PHE advisory situation whereby if an extension to this freeze period is required, it will be applied.
- If you are a gymnastics lesson customer who pays in 14-week blocks, you will be entitled to credits for the remaining lessons that you have already paid for.
- Please note all gymnastics members will hold their place in their current class, day and time when freezing, wherever possible.
We will be bulk freezing all direct debits for gymnastics. Anyone who pays in blocks must contact the centre at which their child does gymnastics.
Changes are being made to our group exercise classes, according to the following criteria:
- Classes that involve multi-use kit will be removed to prevent different people touching the same piece of kit, without time to clean it between changing stations.
- High movement classes will be removed due to the possibility of contact and sweat transfer.
- After pool classes, attendees will be asked to leave in waves to reduce close contact. They will be able to swim for a little longer if need be, before it is their turn to leave the pool, and will need to allow extra time for this.
- The capacity of classes will be reduced by at least 5 spaces per class, to enable a 2 metre distance gap between participants and instructors.
- Customers will be advised to attend classes early in order to clean equipment before use, and leave a little later so that they can clean it again afterwards.
Our updated class timetables can be found online here. We apologise for the inconvenience that this may cause, but it is for your protection.
Update as of 16/03/2020
The health of people in Tameside is our number one priority and, as such, we have put a number of additional precautionary measures in place to ensure your safety and reduce the risk of the virus spreading.
What we ask from you
- If you have returned from an affected area, or are suffering from any of the symptoms, no matter how mild, do not visit any of our centres. If you have any concerns, we recommend using the NHS 111 service.
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds when you have been in contact with any surface and always wash your hands when you get home or into work.
- Use hand sanitiser if and when available.
- Wipe down all gym equipment after you have used it.
- Continue to exercise if you are well, but respect the personal space of others and avoid unnecessary close contact.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards.
What we are doing to keep customers, visitors and staff safe
- We are increasing our cleaning operations at all of our centres, with all studio spaces and equipment being cleaned and disinfected throughout the day.
- We are putting up additional signage to create more awareness for our customers and staff, and remind them to follow guidelines.
- We are taking steps to reduce the size of group exercise classes and create space between stations and equipment, e.g. larger gaps between spin bikes.
Currently there are no reported cases of a member, visitor or staff member testing positive for Coronavirus. If anyone who has attended one of our centres tests positive for the virus, we will temporarily close that centre for a deep clean and then reopen it. In the meantime, all of our classes, lessons and services are running as usual and we will communicate any further updates as they arise.