Helping you to live your best life
Helping you to live your best life
PE and School Sport in Tameside
PE Curriculum Delivery
Active Tameside provides high quality physical education curriculum, inspiring all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. This provides opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness.
Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect. The programme fully integrates the national curriculum for physical education aims, to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities.
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time.
- Engage in competitive sports and activities.
- Lead healthy, active lives.
- Understand the purpose of good nutrition values.
Read more about our Coaches in Schools programme
Staffing of the programme
All teaching within school is delivered by Level 3 Association for Physical Education (afPE) qualified PE educators, who also hold National Governing Body (NGB) Level 2 coaching qualifications, which is an Ofsted recommendation.
Lesson plans are divided into specific year groups, which can be used by teachers to assist with the PE curriculum and enrichment planning.
Schemes of work for all programme elements in the KS1 & KS2 PE national curriculum are provided on a teacher lesson plan support portal, of which schools are given a unique username and password. The portal can be found here.
“All pupils leaving primary school should be physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.”
– Association for Physical Education
Pupil attainment and development
Progress assessments are completed each half term for every pupil and discussed with the PE subject lead and class teachers, which will then form the basis for an end of year PE report, examining child development and individual attainment against the PE national curriculum assessment framework.
KS2 fitness tracker – fitness development
To help with evidencing the impact of the PE premium funding, we have developed and piloted our KS2 fitness tracker. The tracker engages with every pupil in KS2 and provides them with a series of fitness based field tests throughout the school year.
All tests have been developed with our university partner, Salford University, and over the first year we recorded an overall increase in pupils’ fitness in KS2 of 78%. Tests are carried our as follows over the year and then schools are given data termly on each child, to show progression:
- Test 1 – autumn term.
- Test 2 – winter term.
- Test 3 – summer term.
Benefits from the PE curriculum delivery
- High quality PE lessons with clear learning objectives and outcomes.
- Assessment of every pupil half termly against the outcomes of the PE national curriculum to show child progression and attainment.
- Teacher lesson plan support portal which houses over 300 lesson plans in different year groups, accompanied by specific year group PE national curriculum frameworks.
- Delivery of the fitness tracker programme for all KS2 pupils three times per year that will show the impact of the programme, along with progression of pupil’s personal fitness levels.
- Use of ICT to encourage visual learning and pupil self-evaluation.
- After school club opportunities designed to extend pupil’s learning and progression to competition and community sports clubs.
- Development of a school PE/sport development plan in consultation with the lead teacher for PE.
- Quality assurance and mentoring framework to support all schools and coaches in consultation with school staffing through a dedicated school programme development officer.
- Development of school to club links with local sports clubs and community groups.
- Preparation of school sports teams for entering competitions.
- Specialist Dance, Disability and British Cycling coaches.
- Provision of outdoor education activities.
- Play leaders courses for year 5/6 children to build confidence and support the development of future leaders and coaches.
- All coaches are First Aid trained and have ongoing child protection training. All coaches have a current fully enhanced DBS check.
- A high quality solution to your PPA cover needs, that will support the school curriculum.
- 10 FREE Active Tameside swimming passes per year for schools enrolled on the Coaches in Schools scheme.
For more information, email: email@example.com
Extra curricular PE delivery
Give every pupil the chance to increase sport participation and introduce them to different sports.
Choose from 9 core focus sports plus dance. We also offer alternative sports such as dodgeball, tri-golf, archery, cycling and much more.
- Opportunities to engage in PE and sport for all young people.
- Increase participation of school PE and sport through extended school hours provision.
- Further develop pupils’ skills and fitness.
- Signposting pupils to community sports clubs to further encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Opportunities for children to become involved in the organisation and leadership of activities by undertaking a PE young leaders award.
- Raising the importance of being active and making healthy food choices to parents and pupils.
“The children have made excellent progress and enjoy their PE lessons immensely. The impact the Active Tameside coaching programme is having on our participation at after school clubs and school games tournaments has been fantastic. Thank you.”
– Livingstone Primary School, Mossley