Winners Revealed at Pride of Tameside Sport & Physical Activity Awards
The winners at this year’s Pride of Tameside Sport & Physical Activity Awards were revealed at Dukinfield Town Hall on Friday evening (27th September). The sold out event was opened by the Civic Mayor of Tameside, Councillor Leigh Drennan, with special guest speaker, and one of the first all-female team members to row unsupported across the Pacific Ocean, Natalia Cohen.
The event celebrated the dedication, motivation, achievements and passion of sports coaches, volunteers, schools, clubs, sportsmen and women in Tameside. A record number of nominations were received for this year’s awards, which reflects the wealth and depth of people involved in sport and physical activity within Tameside.
- Changing Lifestyle Award – Gaynor Nightingale-Patterson
- Club of the Year – Hyde Running Community (HRC)
- Unsung Hero – Paul Harper
- Alex Williams Volunteer of the Year – Julie Briggs
- School Commitment to PE and Sport Award – Arlies Primary School
- Young Sports Achiever of the Year – Jack Green-Wilson
- Disabled Physical Activity Champion – Abbi McNamara
- Workforce Advocate Award – Aidan Tevlin
- Community Initiative Award – Tour of Tameside Running Bee Foundation
A special award was also presented by the Believe and Achieve Trust, which went to Grace Merriman (for her fundraising activities and organising fundraising events for meningitis). A raffle, with a long list of great prizes donated by the event’s sponsors, also took place on the night, with proceeds going to The Believe and Achieve Trust and Tameside Sport & Physical Activity Network.